Thursday, March 31, 2011

My funny little munchkins

The other night at dinner, Joshua looked up at me and in the sweetest voice said, "I love you, Mommy." My heart melted, of course, and I said, "I love you too, Joshie." He then looked past me towards the garage and in the same sweet voice said, "I love you, door." David and I just cracked up. Given how much Joshua loves doors and windows, I guess I should take it as a compliment :)

Usually my Saturday morning grocery store trip during Leah's morning nap is a little "me" time, and Joshua stays home with David. He needed to come with me this past weekend, though, because David and his dad were working on the yard. Joshua loves Harris Teeter, partly because of all the numbers and fun things to look at, partly because of all the people he can talk to, and partly because of the free cookie :) As I was checking out at the self-checkout, Joshua points at the guy who was overseeing the 4 self-checkout stations and says (really loudly), "President Obama!" Now, this guy looks nothing like the President to me--first of all, he's white and much shorter and a little heavier than him. The only things that were similar is that they both have closely-cut hair and their ears stick out just a little. But for whatever reason, Joshua was convinced that this was President Obama. He kept saying it over and over and it just had me giggling to myself as I kept telling him that it was not President Obama, but Harold (I showed Joshua his name tag). What a little knucklehead :)

Joshua has added some more songs to his collection of favorites to sing. In addition to long-time favorites like "Jesus loves me," "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star," "Wheels on the Bus," "I am a Child of God," the ABC song, and "Popcorn Popping on the Apricot Tree," he also likes "The Itsy Bitsy Spider," the chorus to "My Girl" (which we sing to Leah), and the Leah-bug song. If you know the oldies song "Lollipop," you also know this song, sung to the same tune and made up by yours truly: "Leah-bug, Leah-bug, oh oh my Leah-bug, Leah-bug...buh dum bum bum." I know...you're amazed by my creativity and talent (haha). Simple as it may be, it makes Leah smile every single time and Joshie loves it too. Joshua also loves to sing all the songs on the TV show "Blue's Clues," which we have on our Netflix Instant Play. It is his favorite show by far, although he also likes Veggie Tales. We've tried Super Why, Sid the Science Kid, and Sesame Street as well, but he's not a big fan of those yet.

Joshie's still in love with reading, and he seems to have all of his favorite books memorized. He loves for us to read to him, but sometimes if I'm busy nursing the baby or getting dinner ready, he'll bring the book near me, sit down, and "read" the book to me. Leah loves all the pretty pictures in the books, so the three of us love to read together. The car obsession is still in full effect: on pretty days when we go for walks in the neighborhood, Joshua tells us all about the cars we see: "Look! A black Dodge truck. A new Honda CRV! A white Ford Mustang...vroom!"

Leah's second tooth has broken through right next to her first, so she's sporting her two middle teeth on the bottom. I'm hoping her top teeth will wait for a while to come through...if I'm lucky, she'll be done nursing before they show up! She loves to be loud to get our attention, and has graduated from just spinning in the doorway jumper to actually bouncing now. She loves all the little activities on the exersaucer, and she has become quite the pro at rolling across the floor from one side to the other, over and over. She does a lot of what I call "swimming" on the floor when she's on her tummy--those little legs are kicking and those arms are going back and forth. It is just a matter of time now before she gets up on her hands and knees!

Leah loves all kinds of baby food and is really chunking up these days! I think the added weight is helping her sleep better at night too. For the last number of months she's been up twice at night to eat (down at 8:00pm, then up usually around 1:00am and 5:00am, and then up for the morning at 8:00am), but for the last week, she's only gotten up once at night to nurse, anytime between 3-5:00am. Let me tell you...once a night is SO much better for Mommy! Shes's a good little sleeper in all--she goes down for her naps and bedtime at night with no problems, and goes right back to sleep after her nursing in the middle of the night. I can't believe she's only a few days shy of 7 months old--the time has flown by!

Just a little picture-less update for you :)

1 comment:

Sarah said...

What a great post! That first story about "i love you mommy...i love you door" CRACKED me up. Joshua is hilarious! It was fun catching up on your blog. We need to see you guys...ya know, sometime : )