Wednesday, October 1, 2008

He's finally here!






Our little guy has finally arrived! Joshua Brent Isgett was born at 9:01am this morning, October 1st--he weighed 7lbs 8oz and was 21.5 inches long. He is beautiful and healthy and we couldn't be happier!

I had an ultrasound appointment yesterday (Tuesday) at 4:15pm to check on the baby and see how he was doing since he was almost a week past his due date. David met me at the doctor's office and we finally got back to the exam room around 5:15pm. As the doctor was taking measurements, saying that everything was looking good...until he tried to locate amniotic fluid. He couldn't find any! He said there are a number of reasons this might be, and we had no idea how long he had gone without any...so he called my OBGYN's office and talked to the doctor on call. She asked me to go straight to Rex and get checked in--for baby's well-being, it was time to come on out!

David and I got to the hospital at 6:30pm and checked in--we were led to the labor room and met our incredible nurse Jayme. I cannot say enough about how fantastic she was through everything! Since I was not having any contractions on my own (at least not ones I could feel--the monitors showed that I was having small ones), they decided to induce me using pitocin. This was not what I wanted, as our goal was to have a natural child birth, but more importantly, our top priority was our baby and how to get him safely here.

The doctor came a couple of hours later (a new doctor was on shift now from my OB's office) and tried to break my water--only to discover that, just as the ultrasound doc had said, there wasn't any in there! They decided to ramp up the pitocin and start an epidural (again something I didn't want, but Joshua was way above my birth plan on the importance scale!) I went from 3 cm when I checked in to 9 cm really quickly--the nurse checked me, expecting to find me at 4-5cm, so she was really surprised!

Once I was fully dilated and effaced, it was time to push! This was around 5:00am (and just for further info, I had only gotten about 4-5 hours of sleep the night before, so I was exhausted!) David was FANTASTIC--helping count as I pushed, encouraging me, and aiding the nurse in any way he could.

By almost 7:30am, there was no progress downward for little Joshua. The doctor thought this was probably a combination of no amniotic fluid and the fact that our little guy's head was face up instead of face down, making it hard for his head to fit through my pelvis. The doctor was concerned enough to "strongly suggest" a cesarean birth, saying that Joshua was still doing amazingly well, despite the lack of amniotic fluid, but that this was not going to remain the case forever. He had a strong heart beat and was still active, and this was a good condition to be in, instead of waiting until things changed and having to rush into an emergency situation. As much as David and I both REALLY wanted a regular delivery, we wanted a healthy and safe baby even more.

I was sent to the OR at 8:45am and David and I met our little guy at 9:01am--and immediately fell in love! The whole OR staff was wonderful, and even though it was not how we imagined bringing our little man into the world, when we saw him and heard him and could tell how great he had done, we knew we had made the right decision.

Joshua has been a champion sleeper today (I wish I could say the same for me!) He definitely knows his mommy and his daddy and seems most at home in our arms. For the longest time, it felt like he'd never get here...and now that he's finally here, I can't imagine life without him! Love at first sight...


5 comments:

TheMarquisMustache said...

YES!!!! Congrats you guys. I hope I get a chance to meet him during Christmas time. Oooh oooh, can I be "Uncle Danny" or something?? :)

Nikki Nichols said...

YAAY!!!! I am totally crying right now!!!! Job well done the 3 of you, can't wait to see pics!

Nikki

Kate said...

Erin, we're so happy for you and David! I'm glad to hear everyone is happy and healthy, you're going to make such great parents! LOVE!

Heather said...

Congratulations! He is so cute. I hope you have a great recovery!

Sarah said...

Wow, like Nikki, your post made me tear up!! Y'all are going to be the best parents. I'm so glad baby and mommy are doing well after everything.