Tuesday, January 4, 2011

New Year, huh?

I can't believe it is already 2011...I feel like my internal calendar kind of stopped when Leah was born in September, so the fact that she is already four months old is crazy to me. Add to that the fact that my 30th birthday is today...I'm pretty much in denial ;)

Just to catch up on the last couple of weeks...

We went down to Greenville on Christmas day to my Aunt Sydney and Uncle Paul's home to celebrate with my mom's side of the family--there were a number of family members there who met Leah for the first time. Let me tell you--doing a day trip with 2 kids that still nap and all the stuff that goes along with that is exhausting! We spent as much time in the car as we did there, but we had such a nice time with family, and the food my Uncle Paul made was delicious! Everyone was so generous to our little family. I especially love the beautiful new books my cousin Tifanie got the kids: The Polar Express for Joshua and a Fancy Nancy book for Leah. And as usual, I took my camera and didn't take a single picture. But I also had a gassy (and therefore very fussy) baby to take care of, so that's my excuse for this time ;)

My grandma was extremely generous this year and David and I used our gift money from her to buy a nice new DSLR camera. We've had a point-and-shoot for years, and it is really difficult to get good pictures of kids on the move. We were looking for something that would be easy for beginners to use, but also had nice capabilities for when we have time to learn (someday, right?) Our new camera came yesterday and we're so happy to have it!

After our day in Greenville, my parents and brother came up to stay with us for the rest of the weekend. Grandma and Grandpa got all kinds of great presents for the kids, including church clothes, "Mater's Tall Tales" DVD, some new books, and a new Lightning McQueen car that makes all kinds of noise (and thankfully has an "off" switch that Mommy uses 90% of the time!) for Joshua, and some precious new clothes and decorations to finish the nursery for Leah. My brother brought up his Blu-Ray of "Inception" to christen our new player--AMAZING. We also gave gifts in my parents' honor through Oxfam: two school uniforms so that a child could attend school (in honor of my mom) and building tools (in honor of my dad). My brother had to work on Monday, so they weren't able to stay long, but we loved having them here!

Joshua's not big on coloring (his nursery coloring pages come home looking brand-new...we have to search on the page for some light marking in a corner somewhere to see that he actually did some coloring), but we worked on a page in his Cars coloring book this morning. I colored in Mater's name for him, but he did the rest. Can you see how thrilled he is to show me the finished product? haha :)


At least I got a smile out of him :)

Love that crazy boy!


Joshie's masterpiece


She will not look at the camera...ever.


Like I was saying...


And again. Oh well...at least she's a cutie :)
***
Joshua has been exploding with his language recently--saying tons of new words and phrases everyday and saying lots of older words more clearly. He loves to talk on the phone to family (and press the number buttons in their ears to make it beep). He's also got a few songs that he likes to sing for us: Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star (which I have sung to him every night before bed since he was little), the Snowman song from nursery, and the first verse of the hymn "I Know that My Redeemer Lives" (which David likes to sing to him). Is there anything sweeter than hearing a little one sing? Leah likes to communicate by cooing and babbling these days--it is pretty sweet as well (and much better than the fussing and crying I hear when she wants to be held...which is pretty much all the time!) There's your little update on what's been going on here :)

No comments: