Wednesday, January 5, 2011

If you have to turn 30...

...it helps to have a sweet and thoughtful husband to make a seemingly mundane day special.

David usually gets home from work around 6:15pm, and usually calls when he's about 30 minutes away so that I can get dinner ready (sometimes traffic on I-40 makes him later, so that's why he calls). He called last night around 5:30pm to say that traffic was a little heavy, so I waited to get dinner going.

At 6:00pm, there was a knock at the front door. It was already dark outside and I didn't have the porch light on, so I was a little surprised that someone was at the door. When I turned on the light, I could see David out the window, and when I opened the door, I saw that somebody had been fibbing about traffic problems :)

David had worked through lunch so that he could leave a little early. He picked up our favorite pasta dish (Pasta Milano) and bread from Macaroni Grill, my favorite flowers (gerbera daisies), and quite possibly the sweetest card I've ever received. He figured if we couldn't go out for my birthday, he'd bring it all home to me. (We jokingly said that we could pretend Leah fussing as we ate--which she always does because we're not paying her enough attention, in her opinion--was the random Italian singer they always have walking around at Macaroni Grill). David TOTALLY surprised me and definitely my day. It made turning 30 *slightly* easier :)

2 comments:

Kristen said...

Happy Birthday! A surprise like your hubby home early is just about the best thing there is. :) At least around our place.

Nikki Nichols said...

Wow.. that is so so so great! What a good hubby, and I had no clue you were turning 30! You really do look amazing, not that 30 is that old anymore! But still, I never would have guessed it! YOu area amazing, Happy belated birthday!