Friday, July 16, 2010

I'm trying to change my blogging mentality

So after my prenatal appointment with the midwives this morning (Baby Girl is doing great! Good heartbeat and I'm measuring right at 32 weeks), Joshua and I visited with my friend Sarah and her two little girls (one is a couple of months older than Joshua, and the other was just born a few weeks ago). It was so nice to sit and talk with her (for almost 2 hours!) and catch up on life, motherhood, and families. She mentioned that during her newborn's late night feeding sessions, she checks out the blogs of her friends to see what everyone is up to. I apologized that I was so infrequent in updating mine, because I always feel like I need pictures or something really exciting to post about so that people would be interested in reading it. Sarah said that she tries to use her blog to capture not only the big moments, but also the little things that she doesn't want to forget as her girls grow up (and she is so good about updating often!).

*Light bulb moment for me!*

Joshua will be two years old in just a few short months, and he is growing up so fast! There are so many funny and endearing moments that I should take the time to record so that I will be able to look back on them as he gets older. And just like I enjoy reading the "little moments" that Sarah records on her blog, I'm hopeful that our family and friends will enjoy our "little moments" too. But my goal is to keep in mind that the most important reason for this blog is to have written reminders of this time in our little family's life, as Joshua is growing up and as we are adding a little girl to our home.

*****************************************


So if previous posts haven't thoroughly convinced you that Joshua is OBSESSED with cars (and trucks and other forms of transportation), his most recent request should seal the deal. He's never been a big television or movie watcher--in fact, the only thing he has really paid much attention to is commercials ("Harris Teeter!" "Kroger!" "Walmart!"), probably because of the repetition. We've tried the free kids movies at the local theater a few times with friends this summer, and after about 40 minutes, he is DONE and ready to go. This all changed about 2 weeks ago. He discovered the DVD "Cars" in our collection and asked to watch it...and he was hooked. Now, every single day (I am not exaggerating!), I hear "I-wa m-vie Cars" (translation: I want movie Cars). We usually have stuff going on in the mornings, so I'm able to put this off until after his nap. Instead of being greeted with "Hi Mommy!" like I used to hear when I'd get him out of his crib, now I get the request for "Cars." Now, he doesn't sit and watch the whole thing from beginning to end--he's way too active for that! He's enthralled for the first 30 minutes or so, and then he does his normal playing, with movie breaks in between. He asks for so few things and we're so active all morning long that right now I don't feel bad about having the movie on in the afternoons. Plus, there is the bonus of it allowing me to get dinner ready and some cleaning done without having Little Man underfoot the whole time. So right now, it's working for us :) And it is really cute to hear him talk to some of the characters: "Bessie!" (the cement vehicle) "Mac!" (Lightning's 18-wheeler) "Bye-bye cars!"


We've also been doing lots of pool time this summer, which has been so fun! It has been unbearably hot during the days, so this allows us to spend time outside without melting into puddles of sweat. On Wednesday mornings we meet up with some of the other little guys from Joshua's nursery class (and their awesome mommies) at the neighborhood pool of one of Joshua's buddies. And we've met up with my sister-in-law Lisa and her kids to go to their pool in their neighborhood too. Joshua is learning to float pretty well in his little water-wing-floatie-thing (that's the technical term--haha), and it is always fun to hang out with friends (for Joshua and for Mommy!)

I'm trying my best to really enjoy this summer with Joshua, since it is our last hurrah before he has a little sister to share my attention. I can't believe that he won't be my "baby" anymore! But just like I tell him all the time, he'll always be my baby boy, no matter how big he gets :)

3 comments:

Kristen said...

I love the "little things" blogging mentality too. :)

We've been doing the movie thing this summer. When the kids are in school we don't watch TV/movies during the week. But this summer we've been watching a lot of our old favorites and it has been so much fun. I think turning it on while dinner is cooking is the PERFECT time for it.

Sarah said...

hOoray!! see, no pics but still a fantastic blog post! : ) you will love looking back and remembering the funny way he says "i want to watch the movie, cars", etc. thanks for giving your nocturnal friend some quality reading material: )
love you guys!!

Kate said...

I was reading an article about how kids can't sit in for a movie until they're about 4. I love the idea of having the movie on in the background while you're fixing dinner, and thankfully, if he's game, it'll help you get some time with the baby. I've been remiss in my blogging since we got back from NC, partly because we've been doing a lot of little videos and the software is crap and keeps breaking, and partly because we're super busy packing everything up! Thanks for the reminder as to why I'm blogging :)