Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Friends sharing talents

I'm a really lucky gal. I have so many wonderful friends and I don't know where I'd be without them. They are a source of support and love for me, and I hope that I have been able to be the same for them. My friends are also extremely talented and generous in so many areas and are so quick to share their gifts with others, including me!

My friend Sarah took wonderful pictures of Joshua last fall that we were able to use in our Christmas cards and give as gifts to family members. My friend Amanda made a beautiful quilt for Joshua's room before he was born--he likes to point out his "blanket" on the wall every morning when he wakes up. So many friends from church, like Kristen and Melissa, made delicious dinners for our little family after Joshua was born (and Melissa taught me how to make bread when I was overdue with Joshua and bored out of my mind...David is extremely grateful for this one!) My friend Katherine and my sister-in-law Lisa have passed down so many beautiful baby girl clothes for our little one to wear once she arrives. Seriously, how did I get so lucky to have so many great women in my life?!

I was mentioning to a few friends at church how I wasn't sure where to look for a baby blessing dress. In our church, when babies are born, they are officially named and blessed at church, and they wear white for this blessing. Little girls always have these beautiful white dresses, and in some families, they are kept and passed down. My friend Jenny said she would love to make one for our little girl, as she had made blessing dresses for each of her two girls. I saw them yesterday--SO beautiful! So we went to JoAnn's to pick out fabric for the dress (we found some really pretty material with little white daisies on it), and I also picked out some fabric for a sling that my friend Nancy is making for me. With how active Joshua is, I have a feeling I'll be "wearing" my little girl a lot just to keep up with him! Sewing is one of those skills that I do not have, and I am so thankful that these great girls are sharing their talent and blessing us!

And finally...I am SO excited about this. A friend of mine from church named Erin has served as a doula for a number of women in our ward during their labors. If you don't know much about what a doula does, they assist the mother with physical and emotional support during labor. Studies have shown that doulas can help with shorter labors, less medication, reduced induction, and fewer C-sections...and they are a huge help for women attempting VBACs (me!). The midwives at UNC have mentioned at my prenatal appointments how supportive they are of doulas, and my friend Erin has agreed to help David and me during my labor and delivery. She met with David and me for a few hours last night and we are both really encouraged about her helping us during this special and important time.

Hooray for awesome friends and their kindness! I wish I had an awesome skill to share...couponing lessons, anyone? :)

3 comments:

Becky said...

You are very lucky to have all of those amazing women in your life. It really does make a difference once we are mommies. Good luck with your baby girl!

Sarah said...

I can't wait to see that blessing dress! Be sure to post lots of pics. There is nothing sweeter than a tiny baby dressed all in white : )

jennygranola said...

You're best skill is not couponing! It's being a great friend!! You are one of the most reliable, dependable and stead fast people I know! You don't know how much all of our early morning talks have helped me. I miss them a lot and can't wait to revisit them in the coming years. You mean a lot to a lot of people! And that isn't something you can learn in a sewing class :) Just keeping being great.. ok? Love you!