Saturday, October 12, 2013

Triangle Autism Run/Walk 5K

The Autism Society of North Carolina (ASNC) sponsors 5Ks all over the state each year to raise funds for the many services they provide to families, and their Triangle Run/Walk was the second Saturday in October this year. I set up a team (Joshua's Roadsters) in late April and invited friends and family to join our team and/or sponsor our team financially. We had a great group of friends and family join us for the race today and a lot of sweet, wonderful family and friends who chose to donate to our team--all together, we raised $1800! We are so, so, so thankful for everyone's kindness and generosity!

We had overcast skies this morning, but temps in the 60's and no rain (which after this gully-washer of a week was such a blessing!) They announced after the race today that over 3300 people participated and over $250,000 was raised all together--SO awesome!

This is the first race I've run since Hannah was born (my last race was actually the half-marathon I ran right before getting pregnant with her, way back in April of 2012!) I've been running for months, but this is the first competitive running I've done and I was pretty excited about getting back to it! My goal was 25 minutes, and my unofficial time was 24:44. There were a ton of hills and my watch took a good half mile to pick up the satellites, but I was really proud of my time. I'm really excited to be able to get back to doing something I enjoy--combining my love for running and the ability to raise money for good causes.

Here are a few pictures from today!

 Our wonderful team!
(Marya Wagner, Bernie & Martha Isgett,
Amanda & LaMont Council, Chris & Vicky
Thornton (my dad's taking the picture),
Katherine Peters, Julia Piszczak,
Jenny & Evan Holt, Erik Thornton,
Liz Maurer, David & me (along with
Joshua, Hannah, & Leah)


 Leah starting to get upset, which scares
Hannah--can you see her reaching out
for Uncle Erik to save her?


 And poor Leah and Hannah are DONE
with pictures!


 My awesome brother Erik and his
equally awesome girlfriend Liz


 She LOVES her Halloween shirt
from Grandma Martha


She wants to climb like her brother 


She's very intrigued with her pinwheel 


Pretty baby 


This little monkey loves climbing
trees...he's checking out all the
people down below :)

No comments: