Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Pigtails and Policemen

Leah's hair is getting pretty long these days and I have been enjoying putting her hair in pigtails, since it is the only thing I can do with her hair that she can't pull out (she's not a fan of headbands or barrettes). I think they are adorable and go along well with her sassy attitude :)


It was either hand her the cell phone to distract her,
or she was getting down from that chair and
running away! Isn't it sad that this is the best
shot I could get of her pigtails?!


And since I was snapping pics of Leah,
Joshua wanted to smile for one of his own.
I absolutely LOVE that smile!
***

Now that Joshua has gotten pretty good with his writing and reading, I decided to make it more interesting for him (and me!) by using these weekly learning units I found online. I absolutely love the talented people who create things and share them online for others to use for free! Each unit is on a different topic and covers writing, reading, math, patterns, puzzles, and other activities, as well as a suggestion of books to check out from the library that cover the same subject. For our first week, Joshua chose the unit on police officers. He's loving the books and printable activities! We are fortunate to have a few Garner police officers that attend church with us, and I asked one of them if he'd be willing to let us meet up with him one day while he was working so Joshua could see him in uniform and get a tour of the police car.

Officer Kevan Anderson and Joshua posing in front
of the police car...Kevan was SO patient and sweet
with Joshua! We got to see a lot of the things we
have been learning about: uniform, badge, handcuffs,
flashlight, two-way radio, flashing lights, siren, and
police cruiser.

Joshua can be really shy with new people and
new things, and Kevan was great with him. He gave
Joshua a cool pencil and a sticker badge, and Joshua
gave him a thank you card he had made the day
before and some cookies I made as a thank you.
What a fun way to start our new learning time!

2 comments:

Nancy@owensolivia said...

That sounds really neat! He looked like he had a blast. Did you find a farm to go for next week?

Brittanie Lockard said...

I love this idea! And it seems like Joshua does too :)