Wednesday, January 18, 2012

School days

One of my goals for this new year was to do a set "school time" with Joshua each day. He absolutely LOVES to learn and we've been doing all kinds of activities regularly related to that, but I never had a set time each day for us to sit down and spend time on writing letters, reading, etc. Now we do...can you tell that Joshua is enjoying it? :)


This picture is from a couple of weeks ago. We focus on a new letter each day, as well as repeating all the ones we've covered so far. He's getting really good with his writing and he has so much fun doing it--it makes me so happy to see him enjoy learning so much! I love all the online resources available for him to do activities on the computer, as well as worksheets that I can print out and laminate for multiple uses. We're also using some online reading activities and the BOB Books, and I am absolutely amazed at how quickly he is learning. These little ones have so much potential and aptitude--he constantly surprises me. He loves to read words on signs or at the store or even on my shirt, and to see his face light up with pride at a job well done is just priceless.


I can only hope and pray (and encourage!) that he
will continue to love learning throughout his life!

4 comments:

Heather Macbeth said...

That is awesome! I have had the same goal in mind for my kids for months but have just not gotten around to it. What online resources do you use?

Erin Isgett said...

Heather, Joshua's favorite is www.starfall.com because of all the interaction. He's been doing the ABCs part for months, and we're in the "Learn to Read" section now. There are also printables from that website, like the one you see Joshua holding in the picture. I hope Lily enjoys it as much as Joshua does! :)

Sarah said...

that's so great that he loves it so much! what are the bob books?
we love starfall too...thakns again for introducing us to that site!

Erin Isgett said...

Sarah, the Bob Books are a reader series--here's a link on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_6/180-8813605-4871609?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=bob+books&sprefix=BOB+bo,aps,434
Our library carries them, so I've just checked them out from there...I'm sure Durham County Libraries carry them too! :)